As the summer winds down, those hot winds will make way for cooler breezes, leaves, and the autumn sky. Fall can really be a beautiful time of year, and it’s also the perfect time to prepare your lawn for the winter. While most people don’t think of fall lawn care, taking a few extra steps to make sure that your lawn is ready for those winter snows will mean a better looking lawn come summertime. Here’s what you can do to prepare your lawn for the upcoming winter.
- Keeping things going: a lot of homeowners stop watering the lawn, mowing, and doing all of those things that were done during the summer months. This is a mistake, since your lawn keeps growing and needs to be taken care of during the fall as well as during the summertime. So keep mowing, keep watering, and keep your lawn going until it is late into the fall. When it is time to stop working outdoors, lower your lawnmower blade settings to give your lawn a final close trim.
- Take care of the leaves: most people hate raking leaves, and it’s understandable why this chore isn’t exactly one of the most fun things that you can do. But, getting rid of leaves will help your lawn come summertime. If you don’t want to rake all of those leaves up, you can simply use a lawnmower with a leaf collection bag. These lawnmower attachments are easy to use, and using one means that you won’t have to spend hours raking.
- Fertilize your lawn: fall is the perfect time to fertilize your lawn. If you just fertilize once per year, do it during the fall months. Fall is the perfect time to fertilize your lawn because the grass doesn’t grow as quickly, but the roots and soil still absorb the fertilizer. So, if you are going to fertilize your lawn, choose the fall months to do so.
- Make small repairs: if there are any spots on your lawn that need some extra attention, now is the time to do it. Fall can be seen as the time of year when you should make those small lawn care fixes that you may not have had the time to do during the summer months. Since the weather is cooler and things are easier to do right now, it’s a great time to fix all of those lawn care items that you never got to during the summertime.
- Time to get rid of the weeds: weeds love the fall season because they drink up a lot of energy during this time, but it’s also a good time to spread that herbicide. While most people spread herbicide during the summertime, the fall is the best time of year to get rid of those weeds.
- Aerate the soil: fall is also a good time to aerate the soil. Since most people do not think to aerate the soil during the fall months, you can rent an aerator at a lower price. This step might not be something that you think about doing often, but aerating the soil is a great way to prepare your lawn for those winter months, and for the summer months to come.
There’s a lot to do when it comes to fall lawn care, and sometimes you don’t have the time to do it all. We understand that fall means other things too (like bringing the kids back to school), and that’s why we are here to help. If you need assistance with your lawn during the fall months, don’t hesitate to contact us. We will be more than happy to come out to your home to help with landscaping and to prepare your lawn for the winter months, so that next summer your lawn looks great. Call us today for more information!